Philosophy Behind the Twelve Mythic Paths®
Underneath all of life’s challenges are lessons waiting to be learned as a part of an individual’s evolutionary process. To best facilitate this growth, a person’s higher self chooses what you might call a “path of development.” Each path is associated with one of the four elements (earth, water, air, or fire) and each element inherently encompasses certain life lessons, struggles, imbalances, and dynamics that become the core of a person’s inner and outer (relational) development. The element associated with a person’s path of development is called their “element of transformation.”
In the process of actualizing one’s creative potential, paths from each of the four elements are explored. However, a person always comes back to the core lessons associated with their element of transformation—moving through deeper layers of their lessons in each phase of their life. This repetition creates themes in a person’s life and is what makes their life mythic. Within this mythic framework, a person’s life journey is completely unique yet grounded in their element of transformation. Your element of transformation is the fire element.
Principle of Mythic Transformation
Recognizing your life as a mythic journey awakens you to the evolutionary impulses of your soul and to the life lessons you have chosen to learn in order to ultimately lead you to the actualization of your sacred calling.
Walking the Mythic Paths of the Warrior/Warrioress
The Fire Paths – The mythic paths of the Warrior and Warrioress focus on learning lessons around right action and the right use of will. Being driven, productive, and getting results are at the heart of these paths, but the key to creating true wellness in your life is to learn how to take action and make decisions that bring you a deep sense of fulfillment and satisfaction. Skill attainment and competency are essential for walking the fire paths; as well as learning how to control your creative energy or life force. Slowing down your reactions to stressful situations and controlling impulsiveness are needed to stay focused on your goals and to be able to access your intuition.
Your sense of self is most likely tied up in what you do and what you accomplish, which may detach you from the present and have you living in, and making plans for, the future. Experiencing true wellness is achieved by living an inspired life—including removing your armor, opening up your heart, living from a place of deep passion, and communicating needs and feelings. Building discernment and balancing head and heart in the decision-making process are also essential skills for discovering your creative potential as you walk the fire paths.
The Three Fire Paths
The three fire paths outlined below relate to how you respond to situations in your life and how you use your energy and creative life force. If your orientation or your energy is more toward the outer world (extroverted), then the lessons and opportunities on the Path of Moderation are more applicable for your life journey. If your orientation and energy is focused more on your inner world (introverted), then the lessons and opportunities on the Path of Courage are essential for your life journey. If you tend to vacillate between these two ways of engaging life based on your environment and the people around you, then the lessons and opportunities on the Path of Presence are needed for your life journey. With that said, it is also possible to bounce back and forth between all three paths within a given day, during a specific life event, or around a particular theme in your life. This is why it is important to become familiar with all three paths.
The Active Fire Path of Moderation – The key movement on this path is to embrace moderation so you can evaluate whether the actions you are taking are truly reflective of your truth and passion.
The Passive Fire Path of Courage – The key for this path is to connect to the conviction and determination needed to transcend the inner patterns that hold you back. It takes great courage to step out from behind the curtain and to stand in the limelight of your own uniqueness and brilliance.
The Adaptive Fire Path of Presence – The key for this path is to create an awareness (deep presence) of what you are experiencing in your daily life, and how your actions and choices are effecting the degree of wellness, flow, and balance you have in your life.
Navigating your mythic path and taking right action (knowing which choices, decisions, and actions support your highest potential) comes out of being connected to your passion, to your deepest excitement, and to an understanding of the manifestations that feed your soul. It is “water”—self-nourishment, emotional awareness, ease, flow, and authentic enthusiasm—that guides you along your path.
Principle of Mythic Transformation
Recognizing the themes, motifs, patterns, and dynamics that are a part of your life’s journey empowers you to make decisions that are reflective of your truth and allows you to evolve and grow through each and every phase of your life.
Ways to Explore the Fire Paths
- What do you picture when you think about the Warrior/Warrioress archetype? If you could look at the Warrior/Warrioress part of yourself in the mirror, what would he or she look like? Before receiving this overview, did you see yourself as a Warrior or Warrioress in some aspect of your life? If so, in what capacity? If not, why? What does the Warrior/Warrioress part of you want you to do with your life right now?
- Explore your relationship to your “will” and how you take action. Reflect on the times when you have taken action and the end result was un-preferred or painful. Did you take action from your inner excitement and passion, or from a goal that wasn’t completely authentic? Replay the situation over in your mind’s eye. Imagine taking action in a way that you believe would have brought you the most desirable end result, one that would have been in alignment with your creative passion. Activate all of your senses during the visualization, embody it fully so it feels as if you are experiencing it in the present moment. Do this daily for a minimum of 21 days in order to establish an embodied awareness around the actions that produce the results you want in your life.
- Pinpoint the things that elicit great passion in you and spend time recognizing how that energy feels in your body.
- Practice bringing more ease and flow into your life.
A declaration, versus an affirmation, is an intention to take action in a particular way or to adopt a certain way of being in the world. Using declarations is a great way to stay energetically connected to what you want to create in your life and a powerful way to remind yourself of the core life lessons that are a part of your mythic journey. Below are declarations that focus on the healing movements and goals for a person walking a fire path.
- I choose to take off my armor now and create a life that fully nourishes my soul.
- I choose to place a priority on keeping my agreements and being my word now, both to others and to myself.
- I choose to create a life filled with ease and flow now.
- I release living in the future and instead choose to stay totally focused on taking right action in present time.
- I choose to simplify my life in order to get in touch with the goals and pursuits that are reflective of my inner truth.
- I choose to learn how to control my responses to stressful situations and to master self-restraint.
- I release the need to rescue the people I care about who are in pain or who are struggling.
- I choose to transcend the pattern of supporting other people’s goals and dreams in order to let my gifts shine forth.
- I choose to embrace my emotions and to communicate my needs and feelings with others now.
- I choose to learn how to be more compassionate and considerate toward others now.
© 2015-2021 Gary Jobe Ferguson