Philosophy Behind the Twelve Mythic Paths®
Underneath all of life’s challenges are lessons waiting to be learned as a part of an individual’s evolutionary process. To best facilitate this growth, a person’s higher self chooses what you might call a “path of development.” Each path is associated with one of the four elements (earth, water, air, or fire) and each element inherently encompasses certain life lessons, struggles, imbalances, and dynamics that become the core of a person’s inner and outer (relational) development. The element associated with a person’s path of development is called their “element of transformation.”
In the process of actualizing one’s creative potential, paths from each of the four elements are explored. However, a person always comes back to the core lessons associated with their element of transformation—moving through deeper layers of their lessons in each phase of their life. This repetition creates themes in a person’s life and is what makes their life mythic. Within this mythic framework, a person’s life journey is completely unique yet grounded in their element of transformation. Your element of transformation is the air element.
Principle of Mythic Transformation
Recognizing your life as a mythic journey awakens you to the evolutionary impulses of your soul and to the life lessons you have chosen to learn in order to ultimately lead you to the actualization of your sacred calling.
Walking the Mythic Paths of the Magician/High Priestess
The Air Paths – The mythic paths of the Magician and High Priestess focus on learning lessons around right thinking and utilizing higher forms of awareness, especially imagination, to produce clarity and inner stability. Problem solving and being able to transform limited thinking and hardened beliefs (earth) are at the heart of these paths. Freeing up your thinking in this way is an essential step to seeing your true potential and the possibilities that exist for your life. It is common to have greater clarity concerning other people’s lives and situations (especially if they are in need) than you have about your own life. Part of this is due to a natural impulse to support and to caretake for other people’s goals, projects, and dreams, combined with not placing enough importance on addressing your own needs and feelings.
With this in mind, it is important to create a physical environment, and external support structures that promote passion and purpose, and that give you the motivation you need to understand where you want to direct your gifts. Having clarity about your intentions and life goals, and evaluating your core beliefs and values leads to personal empowerment and prevents self-sabotage in key life situations. It is important to have a variety of life experiences and to try different pursuits to discover your passion; but once you find “it”, it is important to fully commit to that activity in order to actualize your gifts and to experience inner serenity and peace.
The Three Air Paths
The three air paths outlined below relate to how you respond to situations in your life and how you use your energy and creative life force. If your orientation or your energy is more toward the outer world (extroverted), then the lessons and opportunities on the Path of Autonomy are more applicable for your life journey. If your orientation and energy is focused more on your inner world (introverted), then the lessons and opportunities on the Path of Passion are essential for your life journey. If you tend to vacillate between these two ways of engaging life based on your environment and the people around you, then the lessons and opportunities on the Path of Devotion are needed for your life journey. With that said, it is also possible to bounce back and forth between all three paths within a given day, during a specific life event, or around a particular theme in your life. This is why it is important to become familiar with all three paths.
The Active Air Path of Autonomy – The key movement on this path is to energetically and psychically separate from those in your environment so you can reconnect to your core, utilize your inner compass, and tap into your inner wisdom.
The Passive Air Path of Passion – The key for this path is to place an emphasis on discovering your joy and passion in order to understand how you want to share your gifts with others. As you move towards living a life filled with joy and passion, the behaviors that limit your potential and creative freedom will naturally be revealed.
The Adaptive Air Path of Devotion – This path is about learning how to create the life structures and routines that allow you to consistently connect to your inner truth versus seeing yourself as defined by outer structures (work, partnership, family, religion, or larger societal structures). Self-discovery takes commitment, devotion, and a willingness to organize your life to a vision that represents your true potential.
Navigating your mythic path and experiencing clarity about the deeper meaning of your life is accomplished by paying attention to the congruency that exists in your relationships and in the external structures of your life. Your environment will always let you know if you are headed in the right direction, but you must pay attention to the degree of wellness or harmony that is being experienced around you. It is “earth”— transforming limiting beliefs, committing to right place and right environment, and creating support structures that are in alignment with your passion—that will guide you along your path and allow you to transcend the roles you take on in group settings that deny your creative potential.
Principle of Mythic Transformation
Recognizing the themes, motifs, patterns, and dynamics that are a part of your life’s journey empowers you to make decisions that are reflective of your truth and allows you to evolve and grow through each and every phase of your life.
Ways to Explore the Air Paths
- What do you picture when you think about the Magician or High Priestess archetype? If you could look at the Magician/High Priestess part of yourself in the mirror, what would he or she look like? Before receiving this overview, did you see yourself as a Magician or High Priestess in some aspect of your life? If so, in what capacity? If not, why? What does the Magician/High Priestess part of you want you to do with your life right now?
- Explore how you are influenced by other people’s ideas, goals, projects, or agendas. How are you allowing the things that happen around you to disconnect you from your creative truth and from having clarity about what you want to create in your life? Reflect on the times when you have allowed the external world to alter your thinking, leading you down an unpreferred or painful path. Take one isolated event and replay the situation over in your mind’s eye. Imagine seeing the situation with clarity, regardless of the circumstances, and choosing the most desirable end result, one in which you stayed connected to your personal truth. Activate all of your senses during the visualization, embody it fully so it feels as if you are experiencing it in the present moment. Do this daily for a minimum of 21 days in order to establish an embodied awareness around the thinking that produces the results you want in your life.
- Identify what type of support structures will help you stay connected to the life goals that feed your soul and nourish your heart.
- Spend time trying different pursuits in order to discover your passion and the gifts you are meant to share with the world.
Magician/High Priestess Declarations
A declaration, versus an affirmation, is an intention to take action in a particular way or to adopt a certain way of being in the world. Using declarations is a great way to stay energetically connected to what you want to create in your life and a powerful way to remind yourself of the core life lessons that are a part of your mythic journey. Below are declarations that focus on the healing movements and goals for a person walking an air path.
- I choose to have clarity around my beliefs and values in order to keep myself from sabotaging my life in key situations.
- I choose to recognize the importance of embracing a contemplative practice in my life now.
- I choose to connect to my own inner guidance and intuition to pilot my life now.
- I release the need to caretake for other people’s projects, goals, or problems.
- I am ready, willing, and able to create relationships and an external environment that are in harmony with my truth now.
- I give myself permission to ask for the support I need now.
- I commit to enhancing my relationship with my body now.
- I release living life on a superficial level and commit myself to experiencing depth in my interactions and pursuits.
- I choose to utilize my imagination as the path to personal freedom.
- I release being a Jack/Jill-of-all-trades and choose to focus my creativity and gifts in one direction now.